Saturday, December 20, 2008

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work

By this afternoon the doc agreed to increase the dose. I recommended we make a 2mg per kilo booster that he takes after the liquid mixture (6mg). We made the pill and got ready to go. By the time we were on our way out his aunt got home. She couldn’t understand why he needed to do a second dose, begged us not to go and cursed him for plaguing her with worries. Later we were laughing that if she couldn’t find someone to plague her with worry she would find it in Lady or the Michi the cat, which she does. I tried my best to make sense of it to her but there was no getting through. Finally I just promised to take care of him.
So today we’re playing pioneers trying this liquid mixture of Ibo and mineral free water, at least were the first to try it that we know of. He’s hypothesizing that the ibo will be absorbed quicker so that he wont have to wait the first hour or two before he begins to feel the effects. I’m not so sure it will be any different, but I’m excited to experiment.
We decided to start this one a bit later in hopes that the noise from outside will have calmed. We turned off the fish tank filter and doc talks to Jessie about being more sensitive to the noise. This time she’s sans the baby, but brought her 11year old son Francisco. He’s painfully shy and probably the most quiet out of us all. I can’t imagine how bored he must be, so I gave him my laptop and showed him windows paint, it’s not the Internet but it’s something.
Jessie takes his vital signs again and we begin around 7pm. We being recording the process on the camera as he snakes a small tube down his throat so he doesn’t have to taste the bitterness of the ibo. I inject the 20ml of liquid into the tube which contains 6mgs per kilo. A half hour later he takes the booster. Jessie and I start a movie on mute for Francisco.
We check on him an hour later, an hour and a half since we started. Still no reaction besides seeing trails. He says he’s afraid the liquid didn’t work, that it compromised the ibo somehow and is upset that he’s wasted it. I tell him to relax and see what happens, it hasn’t even been two hours.
Hour 3 Jessie and I watch him from the cameras. He’s perfectly still so I assume he’s finally slipped into it. A half hour later we hear a movement in the room and get up to check. He’s gone into the bathroom on his own. My first reaction is slight panic but once he hears us he calls out “Esta bien” Everything’s fine. He has no reaction to it whatsoever besides a slight wobbly feeling and some trails. He doesn’t remember having any visions. I can tell he’s disappointed. We sit for a long time and try to figure out if it had been altered by the water and why that would affect it. He’s frustrated. “I should just used it like de Bwiti have been for thousands of years, why did I question it?” I somewhat agree but say “This is just an experiment, remember that Thomas Edison quote you told me a while ago 'I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.' At least we learned something, now we know the answer to this, even if it isn’t the one you wanted.” He nods “We must try again tomorrow with the pills. Ok Dr. Fitzsimmons, lets go home”. I don’t care how good he feels the thought of operating a car with Ibo in your system scares the hell out of me so I convince him to wait until he feels more stable, at least another hour or two. By that time he’s fallen asleep. Tomorrow it is.

No comments: